Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Marketing



Coca Cola is the leading soda maker in the United States. I definitely prefer the taste of Pepsi to Coke however. I think the reasoning for this is because I never had Pepsi as a Kid because my parents were always buying Coke. Coke is definitely always the prominent drink over Pepsi at many restaurants I have noticed. The main reason they are able to stay on top of all competition is their marketing schemes. Marketing as defined by the book is "The actively, set of institutions, and processing for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners and society at large."( Nickels 346). I think Coke really utilizes this idea of marketing very well. According to the video one of Cokes big marketing ideas is to create and advertisement or commercial that helps you associate coke with a good memory. If you look at Cokes sales it is easy to see how well this has worked for them. Since they have been associating ads with good times for years the lasting effect is when in the store Coke is easier to buy off of impulse because of the happiness it can give people. To take this a step further, according to the video Coke has patented the unique shape of there bottle to give people the ability to remember it with muscle memory as well. According to the video Coke changed there recipe in 1985 to try and promote more sales. This action caused such a commotion they needed to change it back as soon as possible. The biggest complaint attaining to why they changed it was from the older generation asking "why did you change my Coke?". Although some callers said they hadn't had Coke in years they were upset because of the memories that went along with Coke. For Coca Cola although, this recipe change was a total fail, it really put into perspective for the company how successful their marketing really was. Cokes successful marketing has truly given them the upper hand on other soft drink competitors and from personal experience if I see a Coke commercial that puts me in a good mood I am definitely more likely to grab a Coke over anything else. As there genius marketing scheme has done to many Coke brings back memories for me especially from my childhood, no matter what taste I prefer, I know at the end of the day I will be enjoying a Coke.


2 comments:

  1. Hey buddy great blog post. First I have to respectfully disagree with your like of Pepsi. I strongly prefer Coke but it may be because of Coke's awesome marketing. I also agree that when i see cheerful Coke commercials i want to grab a Coke. I haven't drank soda in years but just seeing a Coke reminds me of amazing trips to Fenway Park to watch the Red Sox. As you said, some people haven't had it in years but got upset when they changed the formula because it brought back memories. I haven't had a coke in years however if it ever went away I would be devastated just because I know one day I will enjoy a nice bottle of Coca-Cola again. For us minors, we always hear about adults sitting back after a long day and enjoying a beer or glass of wine and how great of a relaxing mood that puts them in. I absolutely love the feeling of kicking back after a long day and relaxing with a nice Coke. We should do that together some time, I'll buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I read your blog and I really like it, I understood your comparison to coke and as a kid I had similar decisions when deciding whether to drink either one. When I continued to read you use the definition of marketing to help your these is which I thought was very clever and not many blogs have done before so I applaud you for it keep it up. When you mentioned the way coke patented the shape of their bottle for people to recognize their brand I really like that it showed me a new understanding of their marketing strategies to make their product that best in the world. When you talked about coke changing their recipe I liked it but if you would of gave more a of a detail to why and they did. Ad if you could use more examples to Cokes marketing and what they have did. Overall it was great.

    ReplyDelete