Friday, February 3, 2012

McDonald's

This week my assignment was to watch "CNBC’s BigMac:  Inside the McDonald’s Empire"  and discuss the key challenges and opportunities than I think McDonald's faces.  They bring up a few things in the video that pose as challenges.  The obvious challenge is that McDonald's food is unhealthy and it leads to people gaining weight from eating it too much.  This has been a major concern in the last decade and films such as Morgan Spurlock's "Super Size Me" have brought it to national attention.  Another challenge they have is expanding.  In the video they talk about how they have just expanded to China and are constantly working on becoming bigger.  As easy as you would think it would be to expand a fast food joint as popular as McDonald's there are many things that can go wrong with it.

 







 The first challenge I'm going to talk about is the lack of nutrition in their food.  It might not stop people from going but McDonald's is constantly being targeted by the media for being on of the leading causes of obesity in the United States.  The problem with this situation is that their really isn't to much McDonald's can do about this.  Sure they can put healthy options on their menu and warn people not to eat it to much but the fact is, the bread and butter of their business is burgers and fries.  People go to McDonald's to eat burgers, fries, and chicken nuggets.  They don't go there to order a salad most of  the time.  Despite the problem that the menu is mostly unhealthy,  they could do a lot better job of telling people what they are  eating.  It shows two kids in the video eating at a McDonald's.  The camera crew points out the them the nutritional facts on the wrapping of the burger and the back of the tray sheet.  The two kids had no clue it was there.  To be honest, I would say that most people don't know its there.  It might hurt McDonald's a little bit to put the nutritional facts right in front of the customers but maybe that is what the media is looking for, the company to try a little harder on keeping people from becoming obese.

2 comments:

  1. You did a good job explaining the obstacles and challenges McDonalds faces on a daily bases. The nutrition facts chart was a good addition because I don’t eat McDonalds, and I have never actually looked at the nutrition facts. I agreed with you when you said that most of McDonalds food is unhealthy. When people go to McDonalds they usually do not go to buy a salad or apples. I think you should of highlighted more of the good things McDonalds does to because even though they have a lot of flaws they are very successful. McDonalds is a huge industry that has spread world wide. Even though it would not stop people from eating it, I also agree that McDonalds should display their nutrition facts. People should know what is in the food that they are eating. Over all your post was really good and had a lot to argue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw Super-Size Me I was completely disgusted of then way McDonalds in a sense treat the public they larger their value meals to get more of the green paper but in the end result cause the public to become obese. I fully understand where you coming from and how to McDonalds this is a challenge. As I read through and agreed with you points that you have made I now fully understand of which McDonalds plays a role in the worlds nutrion.as you said McDonalds had just gone global expanding to china and reaching toward a new market. To me this mean they need to take a bigger step into creating a more healthy menu so that it just not that heart stopping hamburger but more than that a salad or maybe even fruit. When I ever I go to McDonalds I always go and check the calories I ingests I think that by doing this McDonalds gives the public a chance to realize that maybe that da you don’t need a salad but maybe I need a salad.

    ReplyDelete