Friday, February 3, 2012

McDonalds

When my sister and I were younger, she had an addiction to McDonald's, but I found it really gross.  The only thing I ever wanted from McDonald's was the toy, so when my little sister would get a happy meal I would tell her that since I was older I deserved the toy (I always got the toy).  As I grew up a bit, the toy became less important and I stopped going to McDonald's all together.  Now, with the updated menu they (McDonald's) has a few meals that I would now eat.  Their fries are definitely my favorite, along with the chicken selects.

In 1948, two men named Dick and Mac McDonald opened up McDonald Bar-B-Que Restaurant in San Bernardino, California.  After a few years of being open, the restaurant was shut down for three months for some alterations.  When re-opened, it became a drive thru that concentrated on the 15 cent hamburgers.  By the end of the 1960s, there were more than 1,000 McDonald's opened across the country.  In 1967, the first international franchise opened up in British Columbia and another one opened up in Costa Rica one year later.  With thousands of expansions happening yearly, by the end of the year of 2008, Mickey D's had grown to nearly 32,000 locations in 118 different countries.

In the video it definitely showed how Mickey D's loves to expand its corporation, but something that I didn' mention about that was in the video was the rising obesity rate.  The C.E.O. of McDonald's stated that it's not the companies fault that people are gaining weight because they can make the decision on whether or not to walk into the restaurant.  Although that is true, the food at McDonald's is still fattening.  They are advertising healthier foods, but no one can forget about their burgers or fries that they've been advertising for years and years.  Also, they put up a lawsuit against having to have the calories up on the menu for people to see.  As shown, they do have calories printed out on the backs of menus and the wrappers for burgers and wraps, but they are in un-noticeable places.

As someone who isn't very fond of McDonald's, I do find some things wrong with the corporations logic, but I will also compliment them on the tremendous success of their business.

1 comment:

  1. I like you post, and it is really interesting. also I learned some history of McDonald, and I think it is really cool. people who start it, just a regular people like we do, but nowadays, the McDonald is so successful, just like the chapter says, success is you fill up what people needs. and I think they did a great job, we can see from the location of how many McDonald have been located, and how many countries have McDonald in there. the video also let me know that even the fast food has a head chef, and it is really cool cause I never heard that before. and I never pay attention to the menu, but after they chef said they are putting more green on it, I guess that;s so true.

    ReplyDelete