Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ashley Harris, Homework #1

My name is Ashley Harris, and I'm a freshman from Webster, Massachusetts. My major is Accounting and my minor is Finance. I was originally a General Business Education major, but then decided that it was not right for me, so I changed it. My previous work experience started over the summer in 2011. I worked as a Junior Staff at the Webster - Dudley Boys & Girls Club. As a Junior Staff, I basically did what people told me to do, assisted the Staff, helped plan out activities for the kids, among other activities. This position was only for the summer. When I got to Nichols, I was given the opportunity to work with the same place for work study as a Staff. Since the position was not paying me enough, I had to find a second job, which is now at Dunkin Donuts in Webster, Massachusetts as a Crew Member. Since I rarely find the time for hobbies, I do not have that many. I do read, and when there is enough time, I spend time with friends.

To describe who I am as an individual and what I stand for, here is my About.me link:

About.me

I hope to learn quite a few things from this course. Knowing that the course is having us do several projects, it will be interesting to see how learning this subject matter can be done by doing these projects. I am interested in the subject, and I am taking this course as a requirement for my major.
For the article, I find that it is somewhat difficult to read due to its several grammatical and spelling errors. However, towards the end of the article, where it states the "criticism of business", I disagree with the first statement. I do not believe that most businesses are profit-oriented. Sure, some businesses out there are, but not every one. I believe that people have businesses for things they are interested in, and doing that should be above the profit aspect of running a business. I also somewhat agree and disagree with the third statement in this section. With my previous experience at my first job and work study job, I feel like nobody deals with issues that make it difficult to work in that environment. With my other job, however, my manager puts those issues first, and finds the time to figure out how to plan out work so that it accommodates my schedule for other things. Overall, I do not think the article effectively gets its point across.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,
    You have to find SOME time for hobbies! I mean come on, lego harry potter isn't going to play itself! I completely agree with your opinion on an the article there are a handful of typos in the beginning. However i disagree with your criticism about the criticism (whoa) i think that businesses are indeed far to interested in the money, and not interested nearly enough in the people or the products.
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete