Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homework 1

Hi everyone! I’m Caitlyn O’Loughlin and am freshman here at Nichols College. I am currently still deciding on what major to choose, I have been considering either Hospitality or International Business. Nichols College is very important to me and my family because both of my parents went here and it was a big deal for me to follow in their footsteps and attend here as well. I am from a small town in Connecticut called Waterford where I live with my dad, mom, younger brother Shawn and my golden retriever Michelob.  At home, I worked as a busser at a local restaurant called Filomenas.  Working there helped me learn how to communicate with other people and showed me what you have to do to run your own business. I am very athletic, I have been playing softball for as long as I can remember and will be continuing playing here at Nichols.  Sports are a very big part of my life because I love being active and having competition.

I hope to learn a lot about the business world by taking this course.  By my father running his own real estate agency I have seen what it takes to run a small business and it does not look easy. Last semester I took a Business Communications class and it taught me effective ways to communicate to other businesses and employees.  After learning this I am hoping to get a deeper and better understanding of the business world.  I hope to take away from this class skills I would need for a career in business and how to carry myself in the business world to be as successful I can be.

The article we read for this blog was entitled “Importance Of Business In The Present Day World”. Although it was difficult to read due to all the grammar mistakes it really opened my eyes to the way people run businesses in the present day world.  The first sentence really stood out to me when it said; “The importance of business is that it provides products or services to customers”.  To run a business you need to be able to cater the customer and make their needs come before yours and if you do this you will have a successful business. 

2 comments:

  1. In response to your post, I found several things I agree with and found interesting. For the article, I completely agreed with your thought that the first sentence stood out. I also thought this sentence was one of the most important in the article: “The importance of business is that it provides products or services to customers.” A business cannot succeed without having clients or customers. In order to be a successful business, a major focus needs to be the customers and how to make them happy and keep them coming back to the business. The grammatical errors really did make an impact on the article though. I feel as if the article alone may have opened eyes more to how a business is looked upon negatively due to a lack of professionalism (i.e. spelling and grammatical errors on a website).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was very moving Caitlyn. I also like how your name is spelled with a C and K. I think for your major you should choose Hospitality. I think this would be a good fit because of your bubbling personality. I like how school is important to both you and your family. School is also very important to my family as well. My first dog a was a golden retriever they are the best except they shed so sometimes thats not the best. Your previous job at the the Italian restaurant sounds kinda boring but the food must have been amazing. I agree with what you want to get out of this course is about the same that I hope to learn form the course. Taking on sports in college is a big commitment and I like that fact that you are deciding to play softball and go to school it shows a lot of commitment and dedication.

    ReplyDelete